Ploy dome dating
At this narrowing, a network of narrow canals led to the construction of bridges and buildings including textile mills in the Middle Ages.The hydrographic network has always been an important asset operated by the city.It is also, on its southeastern outskirts, close to Camon and Longueau, the confluence with its main tributary on the left bank (to the south), the Avre.The Selle enters from the northwest of Amiens, with two arms (including the Haute Selle) passing behind the Unicorn Stadium, the exhibition park, the megacity and horse racing track, then passing the end of the Promenade de la Hotoie and the zoo of Amiens, and to the right of the water treatment plant, in front of the island Sainte-Aragone, opposite the cemetery of La Madeleine in Amiens.Amiens, the regional prefecture of Picardy, is also the prefecture of the Somme, one of the three departments (with Oise and Aisne) in the region.Located in the Paris Basin, across the country the city benefits from a privileged geographical position (proximity to Paris, Lille, Rouen, London and Brussels).In 1789, the provinces of France were dismantled and the territory was organised into departments.Much of Picardy became the newly created department of Somme with Amiens as the departmental capital.
The first known settlement at this location was Samarobriva ("Somme bridge"), the central settlement of the Ambiani, one of the principal tribes of Gaul. In 1113, the city was recognized by King Louis VI of France and joined to the Crown of France in 1185.
The town was given the name Ambianum by the Romans, meaning settlement of the Ambiani people. In 1597, Spanish soldiers held the city during the six-month Siege of Amiens, before Henry IV regained control.
During the 18th and 19th century, the textile tradition of Amiens became famous for its velours.
In 1848, the first railway arrived in Amiens, linking the city to Boulogne-sur-Mer.
During the 1870 Battle of Amiens when the Somme was invaded by Prussian forces, Amiens was occupied.